Image: Stick figure of a girl pulling a wagon labeled “2017” loaded with red hearts. (danielam/pixabay)
Cheshboniut is Hebrew for “accounting,” and the turning of the Gregorian calendar is a great time for a little accounting. The blog went up in readership this year, from 226,465 separate views to 290,590 views. 4,068 people follow the blog via WordPress subscription or email. In the slowest month (December) people accessed the blog over 600 times a day. In the busiest month (September) there were twice as many “hits”: 1,200 a day.
What were all these folks reading?
The ten articles accessed most often in 2017:
- What to Wear to a Jewish Funeral
- 10 Tips for Attending a Jewish Funeral
- 5777: Jewish Years Explained
- Bar & Bat Mitzvah Etiquette for Beginners
- What’s “Yasher Koach”?
- What to Wear to Synagogue?
- Why Do Some People Think All Jews are Rich?
- Jewish Greetings 101
- 7 Ways to be a Great Passover Seder Guest
- 7 Facts about Bar/Bat Mitzvah
Most of these are “oldies but goodies” from previous years that answer basic questions. That’s fine with me: the original purpose of this blog was to support my Intro students and others on the outskirts of the Jewish world with basic information in plain English. Those readers find me primarily through Google, and while a few of them become regular readers, most are here for one article and the answer to a question.
The top ten new articles in 2017:
- What is the Jewish Prayer for the Dead?
- Hats, Slogans & Signs: Preparing for the Women’s March
- What does “Shabbat shalom” mean?
- I Don’t Care Why Anymore
- Action on the ACA You Can Take Today
- A Rabbi’s Take on #TakeAKnee
- Sickroom Exegesis
- Comebacks for Converts
- 12 Facts about the Torah Scroll
- To my Christian Friends Coming to Seder
- What is the Mourner’s Kaddish?
Some questions for regular readers:
- Do you have a favorite post from this year?
- Are there topics you’d like to see more often or in more depth?
- Do you ever use the “Search” box at the right to find topics?
Thank you for a great year!