- Tisha B’Av is a Jewish fast day.
- Tisha B’Av means “Ninth of Av.”
- In 2018, Tisha B’Av will begin on July 21 at sundown and continue until sundown on July 22.
- On Tisha B’Av, observant Jews fast and read the Book of Lamentations.
- On Tisha B’Av we remember disasters that have befallen the Jewish People, especially the destruction of the Temple in the year 70 of the Common Era.
- The Temple was destroyed by the armies of Rome, but Jewish tradition says that the Temple was destroyed on account of “baseless hatred” among Jews against one another.
For more about Tisha B’Av, check out these articles in MyJewishLearning.com and The Virtual Jewish Library.