I saw a discussion on Twitter today about mezuzot. The participants were arguing about the purpose of the mezuzah: what’s it for?
They were arguing because they thought there could be only one right answer. In my opinion, there are many possible right answers but we each should know why we have chosen to perform this mitzvah!
Some possible right answers:
- Because it is commanded in Deuteronomy 4:9
- Because it marks a building as Jewish space
- Because it marks my home as sacred space
- Because it reminds us of the commandments
- Because it reminds us of the Shema
- Because my ancestors had one at their door
- Because it is a Jewish tradition
Why do you fasten a mezuzah to your doorpost? Is it one of the reasons above, or something else?