Image: Fred Isaac, my first study partner, and I look over a Torah scroll. Photo by Linda Burnett.
Tonight I had my last meeting for the year with my Wednesday night Intro class. Every class has its own personality, and I always hate to see them go.
Besides talking about Jewish American food customs (a fun topic, which is why I use it for the last night of class) we talked a bit about “What next?”
Some of them are moving on to conversion programs, or weddings, or some other preset project under the wing of a rabbi or congregation. I want to be sure that the others get the support they need to take whatever is the next step for them. Next steps could take many forms, including:
- Another formal class (Hebrew perhaps? Maybe via an online class?)
- A commitment to attend services weekly for several months to learn the service?
- Develop and commit to a no-matter-what Shabbat routine?
- Join a Torah Study group?
- Chevruta study [study with a partner] on a course of reading or maybe films?
- A Jewish book club?
- Learn how to blow the shofar?
- A bagel making class or other Jewish cooking program?
- Search for and join a synagogue?
And you, dear reader: do you have any Jewish plans for the summer? Feel free to share them in the comments where they can inspire others, and where I can cheer for you!