Image: A group of four people studying around a table. (Jacob/Shutterstock)
There’s a very old custom among us Jews to celebrate the feast of Shavuot with an all-night study session called Tikkun Leil Shavuot. We celebrate the memory of our reception of Torah at Sinai by learning Torah all night long. (Follow the link for more background on the tradition.)
This year I’d like to offer the Coffee Shop Rabbi First Annual Tikkun Leil Shavuot Online. We’ll begin at 8:10 pm Eastern Time, 5:10 pm Pacific Time. We’ll go until we’re just too tired to keep going, or until dawn on the East Coast, whichever comes first. I cannot promise to keep going after 10 pm Pacific, but I will do my best.
I will teach Megillat Ruth, The Scroll of Ruth that evening and lead a discussion of the book. It’s a traditional text for Shavuot. If you want to prepare ahead of time, I recommend reading the Book of Ruth in your Jewish Bible.
Everyone is welcome, Jewish, non-Jewish, Jew-ish, or just curious. I will offer the class via Zoom, so we can see one another.
Alas, everyone will have to bring their own coffee and cheesecake.
If you are interested in joining us at any point in that evening, please do the following:
- Send an email with the subject line: Shavuot to me at email@example.com.
- In the email, please give me the name you wish to use in the classroom and your email address.
- Emails must be received by Noon Pacific Time on May 17, 2018.
- I will send you an invitation to the Zoom gathering.
- If you don’t follow the directions above I will not be able to accommodate you.
- There is no charge for this session, but I ask that you give tzedakah according to your means. Where you donate is up to you.
I hope that you’ll celebrate Shavuot in whatever way is most meaningful to you!