This week I have no time. The faster I go, the worse it gets. I am behind on so many things, and Shabbat is coming. What to do?
One option is something I just did: Crock Pot Shabbat. That means I take whatever I have that will make a good soup, a really good soup, I put it in the crock pot and the crock pot will take care of dinner. Tonight’s offering:
4 potatoes, cut into chunks
1 lb ground beef, browned
3 onions, sliced
1 bunch of celery, sliced
1 bunch of collard greens, sliced into ribbons
1 32oz box of chicken stock
Dump all ingredients into crock pot. Set to cook on low for 6 hours.
Add one challah, and a couple of glasses of wine. Hineh! (Voilá!) Shabbat dinner.
- If you are vegetarian or vegan, adjust ingredients accordingly.
- Chopped tomatoes are good in it.
- If you like, you can add an envelope of “beef stew seasoning” or similar for flavor.
- If you are more domestic than I, make your own broth.
- If you are even less domestic than I, it is not strictly necessary to brown the meat.
The point is, you dump the ingredients in, and there is no more work. Cleanup is limited.